Friday, February 27, 2015

I can handle a little more bok choy on my plate, can you? Otherwise known as, the Art of the Noodle Bowl.



Thursday's are my fun days. They are the days in which my Farmer's Market Box, full of fresh organic and local produce, and all its extras arrive. They are there, waiting for me on my doorstep, when the kids and I arrive home from the daily school pick-up. I know I will have some type of pasta, bread, cheese, fish, sausage and a variety of fruits and veggies waiting for me-- but the exact type and kind? It's a pure mystery. (I'll confess, that while yes, I have specifically ordered certain items for the week- I've long since forgotten what they were). It's basically my own personal chopped basket. Together with the kids, I plan our meal as we pull out our bounty of food and stock the fridge.

Last night, the overwhelming suggestion was a bok choy and tofu noodle bowl. Purely demanded (and completely devoured) by my four munchkins. It's a incredibly easy stir-fry, and one that can be changed or embellished to add whatever fresh produce you might have on hand. Let's face it, it's so versatile, that I having no udon noodles on hand, deigned to use the fresh angel hair pasta that came with my delivery.

Ingredients

Sesame Oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup pineapple juice
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large spring onion, diced
1 package extra firm tofu, chopped
2 heads of bok choy, greens and part of the stems chopped
1 lb udon noodles (or, as I did, Angel Hair)

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Follow package instructions for noodles. Drain and set aside.

Coat the bottom of a large skillet with sesame seed oil. Heat at medium-high. Once oil starts rippling, add onions and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tofu. Sauté for 2 more minutes. Add bok choy, soy sauce, and pineapple juice. Toss to coat, and let bok choy soften, about 5 minutes. Add noodles and stir to coat. Let sauté for another 3-5 minutes to absorb all flavors. Serve.

I

No comments: