Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Company Carrots

This recipe has been in my family as long as I can remember.  If you've attended a Lister Family soirĂ©e or been a guest at one of the 16 Thanksgivings I've hosted, chances are you've not only tasted this dish, but have asked for the recipe by name...repeatedly (Andy, Jenn, Wendy, Marta, I'm looking at you and know I've totally slacked).

I don't know why it's called company carrots, other than it was always a dish my grandmother served for large dinner parties where inevitably, company was present.  Over the years that I've been making it, I've updated and (I'd like to think) improved upon it. I use more fresh ingredients and put it together in a slightly different way, while still maintaining the flavor and integrity of the dish that made it the beloved favorite that it remains today. 

Ingredients:

5 lbs of carrots, julienned
       (I use packaged baby carrots-- yes, I know they are not really baby carrots-- for two reasons. 1)    
       They are already peeled- and it saves extra work. 2) The length is the perfect size (which again
       saves extra cutting work) for julienning, all you have to do is slice them in half, and then in half 
       again one or two more times. And before you ask, yes... julienne is that important to the recipe. 
       It's what allows for the sauce to trickle down and flavor all the carrots, making each bite better 
       than the last.  I did it with whole carrots one time, only one time. The extra work is worth it. Trust 
       me!)

                            

3/4 cup of the liquid the carrots cooked in
1 cup Mayonnaise
3 TBSP prepared horseradish 
2 TBSP Dijon mustard
1/4 cup white onion, minced 
Salt
1-2 cups of panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup of butter, melted
1 bunch of Italian parsley, leaves removed and diced

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Butter the inside of a 9x13 baking dish.

Bring a large stockpot of water to boil. Once boiling, add in carrots and cook until easily pierced by a fork. Approximately 10 minutes. Drain carrots, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. When carrots are dry, pour into baking dish.

In a separate bowl combine cooking liquid, mayo, onion, horseradish, mustard, and a pinch of salt. Mix with a fork until ingredients are combined. Spoon over carrots. 

Toss panko, parsley, and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle mixture gently over the top of the carrots. You aren't trying to create a thick crust, instead just a layer similar to a dessert crumble. Drizzle melted butter butter over the top.

Bake 30-45 minutes, until panko is a golden brown. 

No comments: