Monday, November 25, 2013

Turkey Stock

I typically don't make my own stock. Ever. Even though I know how incredibly easy it is to do, I still find it easier to pop open a box top. Always.

Except when it comes to Thanksgiving. The key to my pan gravy is the flavor, and part of that key is making my own, fresh, homemade turkey stock. 

Which I do religiously, every Thanksgiving Eve.  Jamie comes home with the fresh turkey, and I make stock. Like clockwork.

Ingredients:

Turkey neck and giblets (I don't use the liver, but you? May feel free to do so if you choose)
8 cups of drinking water
3-4 carrots, lightly peeled and chopped in 4-6 pieces
4 celery stalks, chopped in 4-6 pieces
1 rosemary sprig
2 thyme sprigs
1/2  bunch of Italian parsley
1 bay leaf
1 TBSP whole black pepper corns
Large pinch of salt

Directions:

Place all ingredients in large stockpot. Bring water to boil. Turn heat to low and let simmer 2 hours.

Strain ingredients using cheesecloth or other fine sieve. Refrigerate liquid overnight. 

No comments: